This week I’m feeling like I need to be on vacation, or at least pretend like I am. The weather is in the 90s, the kids are at their dad’s house all week long, and I plan on wearing dresses and flowers in my hair every day I can.
This week, I am celebrating summertime!
Of course, hot summer nights means the oven needs to be used as minimally as possible. So I have planned items I can cook ahead of time during cooler hours, or that require the BBQ or stove top. This week I am adamant about not being heated out of my house by cooking. And I also don’t want to be stuck at the stove for a really long time. This week’s menu takes all of that in account, and just radiates all I love about summertime.
Inspired by Sunset Magazine’s Quick & Easy Summer Dinner Recipes (though not all menu recipes come from Sunset).
– BBQ Chicken
– Baked Potato
– Bush’s Baked Beans
– BBQ Corn
– Cod Tostadas: fried tortillas with a thin layer of refried beans, top it with cod, avocado, Trader Joe’s mango salsa, thinly sliced cabbage, minced radish, cilantro, and sour cream. Whether it all stays on top is another story….
– Trader Joe’s Corn Salsa (so good, it should be a side dish)
– Spanish Rice
– Veggie Panini: grilled eggplant slice, grilled portabello mushroom, mozzarella cheese, roasted red pepper, arugula salad, ciabatta bread brushed with balsamic vinegar and lightly grilled before assembling.
– Turkey burger and sweet potato fries for me.
– Manly beef burger with regular fries for the Mr.
I’m trying out kimchi (pickled cabbage) on my burger to give it a little low-calorie zing. Mr. W won’t touch it.
– Chinese Chicken Salad
– Baguette & Brie
Who says you can’t mix up your cultures in one meal?
– Mahi Mahi with Trader Joes Thai Green Curry
– White Rice
– Grilled Peppers & Onions